20... getting over life.

Saturday, April 09, 2005

insomnia.... over good things.

Right now, its 6:30, on a saturday, and I'm awake. My alarm did go off, and I should be up, since i went to bed at like 10-ish. At any rate, the pertinance of this entry is my lack of ability to stay asleep once i go to sleep. I think my body is more excited about the potential jobs at KSL than I am.

Let me back up, I dont think i've written about the jobs.

So i turned in applications to work at KSL-TV in about february. Earlier this week, like monday or tuesday, I got a call that said "we're interviewing for the part time broadcast designer position you applied for."

"ok."

"how bout thursday at 10:30?"

"deal."

My boss at MTC said that I should talk to one of his old buddies, bob brown. I agreed, so he called bob and said how great i was right in front of me. Kind of a weird situation. He set up a meeting between us right after the first interview.

Thursday comes, I didn't get much sleep the night before, not because of nerves, but because of excitement. I interview pretty well, so i wasn't that worried. I went to KSL a bit early to grab some breakfast with my friend who is an overnight producer. She was really great, and since we kind of ran short on time, we just went to mcdonalds.

Got back, ready for an interview, met with the head of the gx department, and that was cool. She was really nice, and in our 10 minute interview (GREAT, or really scary.) she seemed pretty stoked about my skills. Basically she was astonished that I understood broadcast design. She was way shocked that I had a tape for her, and she said she was going to watch it. I hope, SO MUCH, that she watched it and was impressed with my graphics package for weber state news.

After that interview, she went and showed me around KSL, which my inside sources say is a good thing. She took me down to news, and I kind of tried to find bob brown clandestinely. Eventually, the infamous bob was found, and I introduced myself. At first, really awkward. Then, i remembered seeing his name on this florida hurricane documentary thing between conference sessions, and he did a great job. I talked to him about florida, and the sort. At the end, he told me there was an on call editor position available, so I was all on it, like blue bonnet. He told me to put my name on this official KSL-HR looking sheet that was taking about interviews.

In the long and short of it, I think I might have really got myself a job... 2x. 2 part time jobs is great when i graduate. No benefits, but better than 1 p/t that I like, and 1 that I hate.

In the realm of school, graduation is may 6 at 10:30 AM. E-mail/leave a comment if you're not familiar with where its at. I haven't got the invitations in the mail, like an idiot, but i'll try to get something together.

I've got 10 summer credits (9 classes, 1 internship for good measure), thats $1500 holmes. I wish I would have been smarter (and dumber) and taken 3 of these classes at different times (like my first semester going to school, I only took 10 credits.) but what can ya do. I've had the ideal college career, except this one extra thing. All the classes are online, so its not like its going to kill me, but still annoying never the less. I think that I'm going to try to finish them as fast as possible during the first week of school (at a public library, or something) and get them out of the way.

So i'm awake because of an SPJ conference in SLC today. Looks like it'll be quality.

This is the longest post of the last 4 months I think. Its quality too.

Peace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Randall!

7:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regardless of where you end up, don't forget us little people. Congratulations! I knew our trip to KVBC would render some good.

10:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.